This delicious and hearty salad is a deconstructed version of the classic BLT sandwich. The good news is
that this is a healthier version, so you can feel good about it feeding it to your family!
I ate a lot of BLT's growing up and it's still one of my favorite sandwiches today. What could be better than toasted bread, crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes and soft lettuce? In my mind, not much! To be honest, everything is just better with bacon, am I right? My family eats bacon often, whether it's served with pancakes for breakfast, on a sandwich, or in this salad. I can't seem to get enough of it!
What's great about this salad is that it's so much lighter than the classic sandwich, which means you can eat more of it and not feel guilty. There's more lettuce, a little less bread, plus a light vinaigrette instead of the traditional mayo. I used an olive oil roasted red pepper vinaigrette, but you can substitute your favorite dressing here. This is also a really simple and fast recipe, so it's great for busy weeknights or even an easy lunch.
This weeks' #SundaySupper is all about the beloved bacon. Be sure to check out all of the amazing recipes at the bottom of this post! From breakfast to main dishes to desserts, there is something for everyone. I also want to give a shout out to Erica of The Crumby Cupcake for being our gracious host this week!
Now, let's make this salad!
BLT Bread Salad
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
8 ounces fresh Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 romaine hearts, chopped
12 ounces cherry tomato medley, halved
6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and cooled1/2 cup roasted red pepper vinaigrette (or your favorite dressing)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the bread cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat. Bake the cubes for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through, until toasted and lightly browned.
Combine the lettuce, tomatoes and bread cubes in a large serving bowl and toss to combine. Roughly chop the bacon and sprinkle it over the top of the salad. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.