This beautiful, bright red Cranberry-Apple Sauce will soon become a staple on your holiday dinner table!
Simple and easy to make, it's both tart and sweet, and full of flavor.Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline's Cooking and A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures! All week my blogger friends and I will be sharing cranberry-inspired creations in celebration of National Cranberry Day. Scroll down to the bottom of this post to check out the delicious recipes that are being shared today!
First up for me is this beautiful, bright red, flavorful Cranberry-Apple Sauce. Truth be told, growing up I did not like cranberries at all. I couldn't even eat cranberry jelly, whether it was from a can or homemade. I just did not like the taste. Fast forward several years and depending on how they're prepared, I kinda love them. This Cranberry-Apple Sauce has become one of my favorite recipes during the holidays. Fresh cranberries are cooked with sweet honeycrisp apples, a little sugar, water, and a cinnamon stick until the flavors meld into one. It's quite fanastic if I do say so myself.
Another reason to love this sauce is how simple, and fast, it is to make. Plus it can be made days in advance, which is perfect for Thanksgiving when there are so many dishes to be cooked. Five ingredients + one saucepan + 30 minutes of time = one perfect side dish. And be sure to come back on Friday when I'll be sharing a perfect recipe to use up this leftover sauce, if there is any! ☺
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Makes approx. 4 cups
4 cups fresh cranberries
2 honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped (substitute any favorite apple variety)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
Add all of the ingredients to a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until the berries pop and the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature, or cool completely then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration. But first, see all the other cranberry recipes being shared today:
- Cranberry-Apple Sauce from The Chef Next Door
- Cranberry Cornbread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cranberry Maple Delicata Squash Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cranberry Orange Baked Brie from Books n' Cooks
- Cranberry Palmiers from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Cranberry Rosemary Cornbread from Life Currents
- Cranberry Snack Cake from Cooking With Carlee
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Noreaster from Family Around The Table
- Pork Shashlyk and Tkemali from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Shallot Cranberry Chutney from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Brisket from Palatable Pastime
- Stuffed Endive with Blue Cheese, Pecans & Cranberries from Full Belly Sisters
- Upsidedown Cranberry Cake from Hostess At Heart