Rise and shine with these decadent Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup! It feels like you're eating dessert
for breakfast, which is perfectly fine in my book. It's an indulgent way to start your day!We all know how much I love breakfast, so I'm not going to bore you with my thesis on weekend breakfast making. It's not like you haven't heard it before. What I will say is this - I love having sweets for breakfast. Whether it's pancakes or French toast or waffles, I typically make sweet dishes over savory. But that's the sweet tooth in me taking over. She really likes sweet treats.
These Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup are hands down my favorite waffles at the moment. I mean, who wouldn't love chocolate for breakfast? It's like you're eating dessert for breakfast, and that is perfectly acceptable to me. Don't you agree?
Both the waffles and cherry syrup are really easy to make. The syrup consists of just four ingredients, and will be simmering away while you cook your waffles. About the time you're ready to sit down to the table and eat, the syrup will be done. How simple is that? My local store carries frozen Michigan sweet cherries, but feel free to substitute with whatever frozen cherries you're able to find. If you do happen to use tart cherries, you may want to increase the sugar just a bit. I like a sweet syrup, but not overly sweet.
This week's Sunday Supper theme is all about our favorite Waffles! Check out the list below to see what my friends are sharing and find some new waffle recipes to try, both of the sweet and savory kind. I've got a few already on my list to make next weekend!
So, are you ready to make these decadent chocolate waffles? Let's get started!
Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Makes 10 Belgian waffles
For the syrup:
12 ounces frozen Michigan sweet cherries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the waffles:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
First make the syrup. Bring all of the ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
While the syrup is cooking, make the waffles. Heat a waffle iron following the manufacturers instructions and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Working in batches, cook the waffles until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. Top with cherry syrup and powdered sugar, if desired.
Bon Appétit!#SundaySupper Waffle Recipes!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida's Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement