This easy, delicious and healthy quinoa salad is full of flavor and makes a great side dish or main dish meal!
Since the start of the new year I've really been focusing on my healthy habit goals. One of those goals was to eat more fruits and vegetables, and another was to eat more whole grains. An easy way for me to fulfill the veggie goal has been eating salads. I LOVE salads, and more often than not I have a side salad with my dinner. Luckily, my kids like salad too, so it's been a great way for us all to up our veggie intake.
I've recently been experimenting with quinoa and recipes to make with it. Quinoa is a wholesome grain that's a great source of fiber and protein. It has a mild taste and a bit of crunch, so it's perfect in many dishes. This Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries also has spicy arugula and super flavorful and nutty Gouda cheese in it, and it's quickly become my favorite winter salad.
The combination of flavor profiles in this dish is what makes me love it so much. Salty, sweet, spicy and savory, this salad has it all! Topped with a super simple dressing, it's a powerhouse salad in my book.
Lucky for you (and me, too!), my Sunday Supper friends are also sharing their favorite winter salads today. Scroll down to find more amazing recipes! I can't wait to try each and every one for myself.
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Print this recipe
1 1/2 cups quinoa
4 ounces arugula
4 ounces Gouda cheese, diced
1 large Gala apple, diced
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper
In a large bowl, rinse the quinoa with water and use your hands to wash it. Drain the quinoa and transfer it to a large pot. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain the quinoa and place it in a serving bowl. Stir it to spread it out evenly and allow to cool for about 20 minutes. Add the arugula, cheese, apple, pecans and cranberries and toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and mix to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss it. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
#SundaySupper Winter Salads:
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma's Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.