This Mexican Pizza brings the best of two worlds together by turning my favorite Mexican food into a pizza!
Perfect for game day, or even an easy weeknight meal, both kids and adults alike will love this fun twist!
Although I love summer, I am really, really excited that Fall is almost here. I can't wait to pull out my jeans, sweaters and boots this time of year, plus I'm obsessed with Halloween, all things pumpkin, and football. Football is my absolute favorite sport! Whether I'm watching my son play high school ball, or watching my favorite teams on TV, during the Fall I can't seem to get enough of it.
One of of my favorite things about football season, aside from the game itself, is the food. It doesn't matter if I'm tailgating with friends or watching a game at home, I always cook up some fun football treats. I tend to grill a lot, or make nachos and wings, but I also love pizza. I mean, who doesn't love pizza? I decided to give a twist to my traditional pizza and go Mexican style, and it was a huge hit with both my family and friends!
Making a Mexican Pizza is simple - it's just like making a taco but everything goes on a pizza crust instead! I use pre-made crust for mine, simply because it's easier and a bit sturdier, but feel free to use any crust you'd like. Use refried beans in place of pizza sauce, add taco meat, then your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, even sour cream. I add the lettuce and tomato right away, then place sour cream, onions and olives in little bowls and my guests can dress their slices up any way they please.
Whether you're getting ready to watch the big game or are looking for a new weeknight meal for the family, this Mexican Pizza hits the spot. My #SundaySupper friends are sharing their favorite easy game day recipes today as well, so be sure you scroll down to the end of this post and check them all out!
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Makes 1 pizza
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1-12 inch pizza crust
16 ounce can refried beans
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
Sour cream and chopped cilantro for topping, if desired
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a large skillet, add the ground beef and cook until browned. Add the taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Place the pizza crust on a flat surface. Using a rubber spatula, spread the refried beans over the crust in an even layer, making sure to leave a one-inch edge all the way around. Sprinkle the taco meat over the beans, covering the entire pizza. Top with the shredded cheese.
Bake the pizza directly on the oven rack for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and the crust is crisp.
Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the lettuce and tomatoes. Sprinkle with cilantro and top with sour cream, if desired. Cut into slices and serve.
#SundaySupper Game Day Recipes:
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Avocado Corn Salad by Books 'n Cooks
- Bacon-wrapped Shrimp Jalapeño Poppers by Food Lust People Love
- BLT Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs by Highlands Ranch Foodie
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro Crème by Cooking with Carlee
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajita Sliders by Flavor Mosaic
- Cucumber Shrimp Cups by Sunday Supper Movement
- Game Day Burger Sliders by Dessert Geek
- Gyro Meatballs & Herbed Yogurt Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Ham and Salami Rollups by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Healthier Patatas Bravas by Caroline's Cooking
- Kale Pesto Dip by Cooking Chat
- Lemony Chicken Wings by Basic N Delicious
- Liptauer (Hungarian Cheese Spread) by Curious Cuisinere
- Loaded Guacamole by Casa de Crews
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes by The Hungry Goddess
- Mexican Spinach Dip by Meal Planning Magic
- Nachodillas with Jalapeno Bean Dip by Palatable Pastime
- No-Bake Almond Energy Bites by Pies and Plots
- PB&J Wings by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pork Belly Sliders by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Queso Blanco Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Jalapeno and Chorizo Queso by The Texan New Yorker
- Sausage Pizza Dip from Family Foodie
- Ultimate Taco Dip by Monica's Table
- Bacon Swiss Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Black Bean Chili by Cricket's Confections
- Blackberry Sriracha BBQ Wings by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honey Lime BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Mexican Pizza by Chef Next Door
- Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders by Food Done Light
- Oven-Fried Fish Sliders by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- White Chicken Chili by Powered by BLING
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad by Crazed Mom
- 5-Ingredient Buckeye Dip by A Mind Full Mom
- Brownie Bomb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Football Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Miso Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches by Ninja Baker
- Touchdown Popcorn Toffee Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- White Chocolate Toffee Chunk Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.