Sweet and spicy is the ultimate combination. These thick and fudgy brownies are spiced up with
cinnamon and chipotle powder, which gives them the perfect little kick!
Everyone knows I love my sweets. Especially chocolate. Chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, brownies...I definitely don't discriminate. Something else I like is spicy foods. Not "my lips and mouth are burning" type of spicy, but a little bit of spice. A nice little kick.
This week our #SundaySupper theme is "Spice is Nice and Some Like it Hot," and I couldn't wait to make something sweet and spicy. My first thought was to make a spicy sweet grilled chicken since grilling season is here, but then I decided to make a dessert. With chocolate of course. And then these beautiful Spicy Fudge Brownies were born.
Chipotle powder, cinnamon and chocolate are a fantastic combination in these brownies. They are super thick and fudgy, sweet, and a little spicy. If you love heat, feel free to add more chipotle powder. I think a teaspoon is enough to give the brownies just the right amount of heat.
Be sure to check out all the deliciously spicy recipes that my #SundaySupper friends are sharing this week!
Spicy Fudge Brownies
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Makes 12 brownies
6 ounces high quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing some to hang over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, add the chocolate and butter. Microwave on high for one minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-seconds increments, stirring each time, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Add in the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Fold in the flour, spices and salt. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Set on a wire rack to cool.
Using the foil as handles, remove the brownies from the pan. Cut into 12 squares and serve.
#SundaySupper Spice is Nice and Some Like it Hot Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip by Cooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Jalapeno Cheddar Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa by Dash of Evans
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Hot Peach Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Peppercorn Shortbread by The Finer Cookie
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Devil’s Chicken by Monica’s Table
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Kung Pao Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Tunisian Garlic Chickpea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Easy to Make Cabbage Kimchi (Mak Kimchi) by kimchi MOM
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.