This super simple Blueberry Slab Pie is the perfect dessert to feed a crowd. Grab a fork and lets dig in!
Warm weather has finally arrived in Michigan and it feels like summer. Although it's not technically summer yet, Memorial Day is the kick off to the season in my house. Now starts the BBQ's, potlucks, pool parties and family reunions. Some of my favorite summer events.
With those parties comes food, which means we're usually bringing a dish along with us when we visit family and friends. There are so many delicious dishes to bring, but of course I love to bring dessert. And this simple Blueberry Slab Pie is my new favorite.
Slab pie is like a regular pie, but bigger. And better. And it's the perfect dessert to feed a crowd. I use store bought pie crust, but if you have a favorite homemade recipe then by all means use that instead. I love to bake, but I haven't perfected pie crust making yet. Shh, don't tell anyone.
Make this Blueberry Slab Pie for your next potluck and you'll go home with an empty pan and happy bellies. Or just make it for your family for #SundaySupper dessert like I did and you'll still end up with an empty pan! ;)
Blueberry Slab Pie
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Print this recipe
2 pie crusts, either homemade or store bought
2 pints fresh blueberries
1/4 cup plus one tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon
Whipped cream and additional blueberries for topping, if desired
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, gently mix together the blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice. Roll out one of the pie crusts into a rectangle, about 10 x 14 inches in size. Place the crust into the prepared pan, then pour in the blueberry filling. Roll the second pie crust into the same size and lay it over the blueberry filling. Press the two crusts together to seal and crimp the edges.
Whisk together the egg and a teaspoon of water. Gently brush the egg mixture over the top of the pie with a pastry brush, then sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. With a small, sharp knife, cut slits on the top to vent.
Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for about an hour. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream and additional blueberries, if desired.
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement