These soft and pillowy doughnuts are baked, not fried, and full of delicious apple goodness.
Tossed in a cinnamon-sugar mix, each little bite is like a taste of heaven!
Oh how I love a good doughnut. Back in the day, I could throw down on my favorite Long John cream filled doughnuts without batting an eye. Nowadays, my hips tell me that's not such a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I still indulge every once in awhile, just not as often as I used to.
I've learned that just because I can't eat Long Johns every day, that doesn't mean I can't have doughnuts ever again. I love making doughnuts at home and baking them, which takes a lot of the fat and calories out since I'm not frying them in oil. Plus, my versions don't typically have a cream filling.
My second recipe for #BrunchWeek just happens to be a soft, pillowy doughnut. A Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnut to be exact. Hot and fresh from the oven, they are the best little doughnuts I've had in a long time.
These doughnuts were made with Sage Fruit Company's Breeze Apple. The Breeze apple is not only beautiful in color, but it's also crunchy, sweet, and very aromatic. The perfect choice for this recipe. (And for snacking, too!)Don't forget to hop over to my original #BrunchWeek post to read all about the fabulous prizes our amazing sponsors are giving away this week, and be sure to enter to win!
Also, check out all of the delicious recipes my #BrunchWeek friends are sharing at the bottom of this post!
Now, let's make some doughnuts!
Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts
Author: Sarah Bates | The Chef Next Door
Makes 12 doughnuts
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Sage Fruit Company Breeze Apple, peeled and grated
For the topping:
4 Tablespoons Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the wells of a medium size doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg and yogurt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the apple.
Carefully, and evenly, spoon the batter into the wells of the prepared doughnut pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the doughnuts are a light golden brown and spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully invert the pan onto a cooling rack and remove the doughnuts.
In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon to make the topping. When the doughnuts are cool enough to handle, toss them into the the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Serve warm.
Thank you to our #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.
- Bluberry Mint Julep by The Suburban Soapbox
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon-Glazed Banana and Candied Ginger Scones by The Texan New Yorker
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins by Feeding Big and more
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts by The Chef Next Door
- Braided Pepperoni Pizza Bread by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- French Toast with Apple Compote and Caramel Syrup by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Sticky Buns by The Barbee Housewife
- Same Day Mock Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Tropical Smoothie by Gluten Free Crumbley
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Breakfast Burger by Cooking In Stilettos
- Fiddlehead, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Poached Eggs on Asparagus Bundled with Prosciutto on Cheesy Polenta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Baked Seafood Stuffed Avocados by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy Sandwich by From Gate to Plate
- Kielbasa Welsh Rarebit by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pulled Pork Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sausage and Fried Apples by Making Miracles